The patient account representative performs specific operational responsibilities within a functional unit within revenue cycle management and resides in the business office. The position is responsible for insurance payment application. The business office acts as a patient advocate by providing information on health insurance, insurance billing, and the reimbursement process to patients as well as working directly with the Dermatology Consultants physicians and staff in areas that impact the revenue cycle. A patient account representative will be assigned daily responsibilities; however will have a strong understanding of all main functions of the revenue cycle.
• Perform standard payment application duties, as needed: including payment, denial, and remit posting, payment moves, maintenance of cash metric reports, reconciling applied checks to deposited amounts, ERA spreadsheet, etc.
• Ensures that receipts, discounts and adjustments are accurately posted to patient accounts in a timely manner to meet department goals on a daily and monthly basis
• Perform Billing and Collections duties, as needed.
• Maintain understanding of policies and procedures of the entire Business office
• Answer Business Office phone line and provide patient-centered customer service
• Protect patient confidentiality
• Business Office document scanning
• Medica/United HealthCare ERA posting preferred
• Understand a payer remittance advice
• Ability to audit and understand multiple payment accounts
• HS Diploma or equivalent
• 2+ years’ experience in a healthcare business office setting
• Knowledge of healthcare billing and reimbursement
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines
• Ability to use practice management software (Cerner) and EHR system (Encite)
• Strong technology skills including ability to navigate computer software, MS Office, fax, copier, printer and other office equipment
• Ability to use fingers/hands for data entry and phone work up to 8 hours daily
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisor, clinical staff, and physicians
• 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm