Dermal fillers, or “soft tissue fillers,” are a popular route to regaining a more youthful, flattering appearance. Administered via injection, dermal fillers can provide greater fullness to the face, plump thin lips and fill lip lines, enhance shallow contours, and soften facial creases and wrinkles. There are several types of dermal fillers available, such as: Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse, Belotero, Voluma XC and Sculptra. All of these are offered at Dermatology Consultants.
Soft tissue fillers do not provide the type of dramatic results that cosmetic surgery does; however, this type of minimally invasive treatment has its own set of benefits. It offers the patient a less costly experience, immediate results, and no downtime or recovery period.
HOW DERMAL FILLERS WORK
Dermal fillers are intended to enhance a person’s facial aesthetics by reducing the appearance of unwanted wrinkles (“filling in”), boosting volume, plumping thin lips, and rejuvenating the skin.
You will receive a topical anesthetic to numb the area. (Some dermal fillers may include an anesthetic.) Injections typically take just a few minutes per site for wrinkles. If you have scars and deep lines you may require multiple injections in order to achieve your desired outcome (i.e., nasolabial folds, marionette lines). To help you remain comfortable, a local anesthetic may be offered if a deeper injection is needed.
You may qualify as an ideal candidate if you have gained noticeable wrinkles and fine lines, or are unhappy with the lack of, or loss of, volume in certain areas of the skin. Some of the most common areas that can be treated by soft tissue fillers are:
- Nasolabial folds (lines extending from the sides of the nose down to the mouth)
- Marionette lines (extending downwards from the corners of the mouth to the chin)
- Smile lines
- Skin depressions such as acne scars
- Sagging, sunken, or hollow cheeks
- Thin lips and lip lines
TYPES OF DERMAL FILLERS AVAILABLE
Several factors will be assessed prior to choosing the exact dermal filler for your treatment, including your areas of concern and desired results. At Dermatology Consultants, you have several options with dermal fillers. Here are some of their most popular injectable treatments:
- JUVÉDERM®, Restylane and Perlane are composed of hyaluronic acid, a natural substance found in the body. They are indicated for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds (i.e., nasolabial folds). Each brand has different versions, which are intended to optimally treat specific skin density and problem areas. JUVÉDERM®, Restylane®, and Perlane® can also be used to enhance lips.
- Radiesse® is made of a mineral-like compound found naturally in human bones – calcium hydroxylapatite. This water-based gel is regarded as the heaviest facial filler. In addition to having the efficacy to fill in the deepest wrinkles, such as nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and frown lines, while stimulating natural collagen growth, Radiesse® can enhance fullness of the cheeks as well as other facial contours.
- Sculptra® is effective in stimulating the body’s own production of collagen as well. It is comprised of polylactic acid, a synthetic material that also targets the lower half of the face. Sculptra is intended to correct shallow to deep nasolabial fold contour deficiencies and other facial wrinkles, in those who have healthy immune systems. As compared to other dermal fillers that produce near immediate results, Sculptra® results typically take at least a few months to appear.
- BELOTERO BALANCE® is a new hyaluronic acid (HA) -based cohesive gel dermal filler. It is uniquely formulated which makes it versatile enough to handle deep treatment areas such as nasolabial folds, the smile lines around the mouth, as well as more delicate areas such as vertical lip lines. BELOTERO BALANCE is also approved for the corners of the mouth and “marionette” lines, lines which run downward from the corner of the mouth.
DURATION OF RESULTS
Certain fillers are longer-lasting than others, but all in all, dermal fillers are temporary solutions. Therefore, in order to maintain your new, youthful facial appearance with fewer wrinkles and lip lines repeat treatment sessions will be needed.
THE COST OF DERMAL FILLERS
The total cost for dermal filler injections may vary depending on the substance being used. Keep in mind that touch-up treatment sessions will have additional pricing. Feel free to discuss the cost of dermal fillers during your consultation at Dermatology Consultants.
To schedule your appointment, please call (651) 209-1600!