When it comes to washing your face, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. It may seem simple: water, soap, rub, rinse…right? Washing your face doesn’t have to be complicated but there are golden rules to follow to ensure your skin stays healthy. Some of them you may be doing correctly and some of them may surprise you. Read on for the top tips for washing your face the right way.
- Your cleanser should be gentle, non-abrasive and contain no alcohol.
- Use lukewarm water, not hot or cold.
- Use your fingertips only when applying and lathering your cleanser. Sponges or washcloths can cause irritation.
- Don’t scrub either – this will irritate your skin, too.
- When rinsing, also use lukewarm water.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel, don’t rub.
- Apply moisturizer directly after washing (unless your skin care regimen requires something like a medication be applied under moisturizer) especially if your skin is dry or itchy.
- When applying moisturizer around your eyes, be careful. The skin there is thin and you need to treat it gently.
- Don’t wash more than twice a day (morning and night) unless you have been sweating. Wash your face as soon as you can after heavy perspiration, as sweat irritates skin.