With colder weather often comes dry skin. This can be especially annoying for those who experience dry skin on their face, leading to redness, irritation, peeling or flaking, and other troublesome symptoms. There are some simple tips you can follow to help alleviate dry skin on your face, or to prevent it from occurring as cold weather arrives.
- Avoid direct exposure to heat sources. If you sit too close to a heater or fireplace for extended periods of time, you may notice your skin starts to dry out faster.
- Use a humidifier, especially if you’re close to heat sources. A humidifier in your home or office keeps moisture in the air, creating a healthier environment for your skin.
- Close the bathroom door when you shower or bathe to keep moist air in the room.
- Limit showers or baths to 5-10 minutes and use warm, rather than hot water.
- Wash your face gently with just enough cleanser to remove debris and oils, but not enough to see a thick lather.
- Blot your face dry gently with a towel rather than rubbing it dry.
- Apply your skin care products in the dermatologist or esthetician-recommended order immediately after washing, finishing with a good moisturizer.
- Cream or ointment-based moisturizers generally work better than lotions, but when in doubt, as your dermatologist or esthetician.
- If your lips also get dry – and even if they don’t – wear lip balm to protect them from air and harsh elements. Avoid medicated lip balms if they make your lips tingle or sting. Your lip balm should feel good and natural.
- If your skin is dry and irritated, avoid products containing fragrances, alcohol, retinoids or harsh acids. We recommend asking your dermatologist or esthetician for the best products for your exact skin type.
- In general, see your dermatologist if your skin continues to feel dry or if you experience persistent redness, flaking or peeling, breakouts or irritation. Your dermatologist can rule out any conditions that might mimic dry skin symptoms, and help you develop a skin care plan that’s best for you.
We offer same day/next day appointments so you can be seen quickly to help alleviate your dry skin sooner! Call us at 651-209-1600 to schedule.